Author Topic: Happy New Year One and ALL  (Read 922 times)

ArthurStone

• UCC from the New Light Christian Connection
    • View Profile
    • Christian Connection Info
    • Email
Happy New Year One and ALL
« on: January 01, 2012, 10:56:08 PM »
Just wanted to wish all the UCC Forum visitors a Happy New Year.
1) Jesus the only head
2) Christian a sufficient label
3) Unity our purpose
4) The Bible our guide
5) Respect everyone’s right to interpret scripture
6) Christian character a sufficient test
http://www.mun.ca/rels/restmov/people/jburnett.html

ArthurStone

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Happy New Year One and ALL
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 12:05:01 AM »
Kids: they dance before they learn there is anything that isn't music.  ~William Stafford

How can we know the dancer from the dance?  ~William Butler Yeats

There is a bit of insanity in dancing that does everybody a great deal of good.  ~Edwin Denby

Please send me your last pair of shoes, worn out with dancing as you mentioned in your letter, so that I might have something to press against my heart.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I would believe only in a God that knows how to dance.  ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Never trust spiritual leader who cannot dance.  ~Mr. Miyagi, The Next Karate Kid, 1994

We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.  ~Japanese Proverb

On with the dance! let joy be unconfined;
No sleep till morn, when Youth and Pleasure meet
To chase the glowing hours with flying feet.
~George Gordon, Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  ~Dave Barry

Dancing is like dreaming with your feet!  ~Constanze

The truest expression of a people is in its dance and in its music.  Bodies never lie.  ~Agnes de Mille

Dancing faces you towards Heaven, whichever direction you turn.  ~Terri Guillemets

Dancers are the messengers of the gods.  ~Martha Graham

Dancing is wonderful training for girls, it's the first way you learn to guess what a man is going to do before he does it.  ~Christopher Morley, Kitty Foyle

You can dance anywhere, even if only in your heart.  ~Author Unknown

Dancing: the vertical expression of a horizontal desire legalized by music.  ~George Bernard Shaw

Dancing in all its forms cannot be excluded from the curriculum of all noble education; dancing with the feet, with ideas, with words, and, need I add that one must also be able to dance with the pen?  ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Dance is the only art of which we ourselves are the stuff of which it is made.  ~Ted Shawn, Time, 25 July 1955

Dancers are instruments, like a piano the choreographer plays.  ~George Balanchine

There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them.  ~Vicki Baum

To dance is to be out of yourself.  Larger, more beautiful, more powerful.  ~Agnes De Mille

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.  ~Faith Whittlesey

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.  ~Author Unknown

Dance till the stars come down from the rafters
Dance, Dance, Dance till you drop.
~W.H. Auden

In a dancer, there is a reverence for such forgotten things as the miracle of the small beautiful bones and their delicate strength.  ~Martha Graham

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.  ~Shanna LaFleur

I don't want people who want to dance, I want people who have to dance.  ~George Balanchine
1) Jesus the only head
3) Unity our purpose
4) The Bible our guide

PowerPoof

• Harvey Milk - LIVES
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:57:59 PM »
revealing how nobody replied here...nor or any of the xmas ones - just one big happy family, aren't we  :P
WARNING - Steven Clifford will abuse the privilege of personal information you reveal concerning yourself to his advantage - he will also seek to intimidate you with anything you share about yourself to advantage his BWF position - this www is not a safe place for vulnerable people... esp. glbt folk

ArthurStone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 11:33:11 PM »
not worried, even if I be one of the few liberals who regularly post.  I think many more regularly lurk, but are weary of the difficult conversations with people of diverse views and set opinions.

How about we all try to be less confrontational and more discussion oriented?  As I visit here inbetween the regular problems of work, I rarely have time to compose long thoughtful posts any more.

I am also finding my free time better spent reading books that are well thought out and composed. 

Robert, let me recommend a book for you to enjoy.  Robin R Meyers -- Saving Jesus From The Church: How to Stop Worshiping Christ and Start Following Jesus.  It is written by one of our UCC pastors.  I am not sure how he survived in the south with his theology.  I have not yet found anything I disagree with in his book.  It would be fun if we could get more articulate people like him to post here, but most working pastors are just too busy with their regular work to post here.
1) Jesus the only head
3) Unity our purpose
4) The Bible our guide

Richard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 09:07:28 AM »
I think it's odd, too, that there are so few liberals posting here anymore. And few any kind of people for that matter.
I had always thought that Liberals were open to discussing different points of view,and didn't take doctrinaire positions. ( that old UCC celebration of diversity) but a lot here do seem to have found it too difficult and dropped out. I've  found it quite interesting to find so many more conservatives willing to discuss things regardless of their personal agreement on an issue. It's only with other liberals that I have found the most difficulty and resistance to engaging in any real discussion. 

not worried, even if I be one of the few liberals who regularly post.  I think many more regularly lurk, but are weary of the difficult conversations with people of diverse views and set opinions.

How about we all try to be less confrontational and more discussion oriented?  As I visit here inbetween the regular problems of work, I rarely have time to compose long thoughtful posts any more.

I am also finding my free time better spent reading books that are well thought out and composed. 

Robert, let me recommend a book for you to enjoy.  Robin R Meyers -- Saving Jesus From The Church: How to Stop Worshiping Christ and Start Following Jesus.  It is written by one of our UCC pastors.  I am not sure how he survived in the south with his theology.  I have not yet found anything I disagree with in his book.  It would be fun if we could get more articulate people like him to post here, but most working pastors are just too busy with their regular work to post here.

Denise Goodman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 10:11:31 AM »
I am another liberal who weighs in occasionally.  But like Arthur, I generally find time better spent reading and carrying out my responsibilities -- both official and unofficial -- in my church.  Richard, one problem is that too often you demand that folks address your many specific questions in order to be "engaged in discussion." My participation preference is to simply offer my take on an issue without getting tangled up in an argument.  I don't need to win arguments here but to offer one among many views, in part so that lurkers will discover that there is a diversity of views within the UCC. I can learn from others, including conservatives, that do the same but am immediately turned off when you or anyone else demands that I respond to all your comments/questions.

Richard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 01:36:20 PM »
Denise, 
Here's my opinion on that. You're insisting  that you have some "right" from somewhere to post any opinion you want, including your opinions of other peoples posts, your characterization of their posts, tell them they are poking out eyes, trying to win an argument, provoking everyone, ....and on and on for years.

But  if anyone should point out your unwillingness to discuss the claims and negative characterizations you make about other people, their  opinions, and their beliefs, then you protest, and try to label it as someone "demanding" you answer their oh, so many, oh, so specific questions, about your negative labels and characterizations. And of course, there is your busy, busy life of service and responsibilities in the church.

Here's another opinion. That turns people off and drives them out of the forums. And keeps lurkers lurking.

How odd- no conservatives here- just the liberal end of the spectrum :o

I offer opinions too, for lurkers to see that there isn't just  a diversity of opinions in the Church, and even the real shocker--a diversity of views among liberals--   that a lot of the constant labeling and division of everything into conservative and liberal is a crock, and that there are some people who not only welcome expressing opinions, but are willing to discuss them.

I am another liberal who weighs in occasionally.  But like Arthur, I generally find time better spent reading and carrying out my responsibilities -- both official and unofficial -- in my church.  Richard, one problem is that too often you demand that folks address your many specific questions in order to be "engaged in discussion." My participation preference is to simply offer my take on an issue without getting tangled up in an argument.  I don't need to win arguments here but to offer one among many views, in part so that lurkers will discover that there is a diversity of views within the UCC. I can learn from others, including conservatives, that do the same but am immediately turned off when you or anyone else demands that I respond to all your comments/questions.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:49:30 PM by Richard »