Author Topic: Are there clergy who donít believe in God?  (Read 1307 times)

PowerPoof

• Harvey Milk - LIVES
    • View Profile
Are there clergy who donít believe in God?
« on: January 16, 2011, 04:06:44 PM »
just sighted an article that states the obvious - http://www.tufts.edu/alumni/magazine/fall2010/features/pastorssecret.html
WARNING - Steven Clifford will abuse the privilege of personal information you reveal concerning yourself to his advantage - he will also seek to intimidate you with anything you share about yourself to advantage his BWF position - this www is not a safe place for vulnerable people... esp. glbt folk

bsimmons

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are there clergy who donít believe in God?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:10:27 AM »
I saw an article like this recently in Psychology Today.  It's too bad these clergy have to throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Being able to sit down with people and agree with them that belief in God is irrational, does not have to mean that we cash in our chips.  If faith comes by the Holy Spirit, then the logical, cognitive idea of God is crazy, but we believe it to be true nonetheless.

PowerPoof

• Harvey Milk - LIVES
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 10:20:42 AM »
wouldl the world as we know it - really come to an end if most of the clerics we've come to love and know - finally admit that which most of us accept already... God don't exist ~ it's all just a social construct  ;D
WARNING - Steven Clifford will abuse the privilege of personal information you reveal concerning yourself to his advantage - he will also seek to intimidate you with anything you share about yourself to advantage his BWF position - this www is not a safe place for vulnerable people... esp. glbt folk

ArthurStone

• UCC from the New Light Christian Connection
    • View Profile
    • Christian Connection Info
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 07:55:15 PM »
Perhaps it is more fair to say that the inmature God concept of the fundamentalists which was also YOUR social construct does not exist Robert.  But that is not to say that a God that trancends social constructs, is in fact still alive and well in the fabric of this universe and beyond.  Why have you limited yourself in only understanding God in this one way?
1) Jesus the only head
2) Christian a sufficient label
3) Unity our purpose
4) The Bible our guide
5) Respect everyoneís right to interpret scripture
6) Christian character a sufficient test
http://www.mun.ca/rels/restmov/people/jburnett.html

PowerPoof

• Harvey Milk - LIVES
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 03:18:24 AM »
comrade are the fairies at the bottom of the garden more real to folk if you dress 'em up in esoteric existentialist glamour instead of their worn-out fundamentalist garb... seems to be the con-artists have just gotten better at spinning their tale

if I glance down at the Geraniumss and all I see are Geraniums... but you see instead fairies - where does logic take us then... all I can reasonably do if the mood so takes me - is reply, "yes I believe you see fairies I see 'em too [mind you they're still only Geraniums]" :-*

ArthurStone

• UCC from the New Light Christian Connection
    • View Profile
    • Christian Connection Info
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 06:11:53 AM »
What you have never seen faries either, why I just spent the last hour playing with some!
1) Jesus the only head
2) Christian a sufficient label
3) Unity our purpose
4) The Bible our guide
5) Respect everyoneís right to interpret scripture
6) Christian character a sufficient test
http://www.mun.ca/rels/restmov/people/jburnett.html